Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pinterest Made Me Do It- Subversive Learning

I am warning you ahead of time that this post will deviate slightly from past blogs.  Your first clue might have been that there is a picture of food here.  What does that have to do with enhancing Cooperative Extension?  Learning something new?  I think it demonstrates that I have a weak mind, or that subversive learning can really exist using new technologies. 

Let me begin by saying learning about Pinterest has made me, well, hungry.  Sure, hungry for knowledge, but literally, it's made me HUNGRY!  There are so many appetizing pictures of food that I could eat (and lots that I should [nt] eat) that I've had to stop looking at it anywhere near mealtime.  I've been a food gawker for a long time, as a matter of fact, I subscribe to foodie magazines which pile up on my desk and from which I've cooked maybe 3 times from.  I pretend that I'm going to do things that I never do.  A few weeks ago I was really hungry, but when I thought about what I wanted to eat, images from FamiliesFoodFitness  and Food Network Magazine , plus a plethora of gardening pins that included in season tomatoes kept merging in my mind!  All those pictures of healthy food, and of easy to make food, and all the images of in-season-good-for-you-food kept popping up.  So I jumped off, I combined a few recipes - making sure to include super foods and seasonal veggies as suggested - to make something new. 

I had had many opportunities to try this before, but I think all the pictures, and the information,and the comments and advice made me want to give it a shot.  It was easier to create with all the information from the FFFCoP floating through my head.  I combed my Pin boards for similar recipes, looking for ingredients that people rated well together.  Finally, I concocted a combination that people actually asked the recipe for. 

This made me think about subversive learning.  All those images floating by were nice to look at, but many of them also were tactical, and had comments or advice.  Did all those images had a small influence on my choices about foods to choose for health reasons? Seeing all those seasonal vegetables and fruits coincided with the bins at the grocery store.  All together, they taught me things that I knew but never put into action. 

I'm sure this might be an isolated example about how we can use things like Pinterest (which seem more game oriented than learning oriented) to influence people in new ways, but I think there is potential to think about strategy and tactics with some of these tools that can do more than show pretty pictures.  With a focus, they can tell a story and potentially create a learning experience. 

Recipe: Summer Bean Celebration

2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can white beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans white or yellow corn (drained)
3-8 avacado's (you choose!)
cilantro
4 roma tomatoes
2 tbs fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
pince of salt
1 can Hernandez Green tomatillo sauce (or homemade salsa)

Drain and rinse beans.  Dice tomatoes, dice avocado's.  Juice lemons.  Combine corn and beans in a bowl.  Add in Hernandez sauce.  Mix.  Chop cilantro to taste.  Fold in avacado and salt.  Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.  8 servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment